[C320-list] New Owner: Battery, Electrical and Starting Problems

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon May 20 16:09:41 PDT 2019

Hi Leonard:
Welcome to 320 World.
The multimeter is your key. First, use it to test the output of your plugged-in charger. There should be large cables extending to your batteries.
Be careful not to electrocute yourself.
If it has output of 13.5 to 14 and your batteries are dead, obviously, you need new ones.
Also check the output of your alternator once the engine is running.
You should see 13.5 to 14 or so, depending on conditions.
Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 1:38 PM, Leonard Hooks<lehooks at gmail.com> wrote:   We are the new owners of 2001 - #856 also known as Revelation. This site
was a great comfort in purchasing our new boat and we look forward to
participating.

Our saga is just over a month old. We moved her from the Dallas area to
Lake Waco, just 3 minutes from our house.  Then just 3 weeks later, our
battery charger (ProNautic 1230P) stopped charging the batteries (2 4D's).
They were dropping into the 11v range and I started diagnostics from
ProMariner.  Before I could complete the tests to determine the problem,
our lake rose 16 feet due to heavy rains. Needless to say, all power is off
at the marina and will be for at least another 3 weeks.  The batteries are
now in the lower 11v and upper 10's.

I took a borrowed battery booster to the boat in an attempt to start the
engine and charge the batteries.  The booster was connected to one battery
and my battery switch was set to that one battery. At first, there was
power to the pedestal since the fuel gage engaged. The engine turned slowly
a few times but did not start.  After checking the connections to the
battery and switching the battery switch to both batteries, the boat lost
power to the pedestal - the fuel gauge would not even power up.

Since first there was power to the pedestal and now not, I am guessing a
fuse has blown.  I did not have a multimeter to start checking connections
but will take one back next time. The engine is a Yanmar 3GM30F.

Any suggestions on where to start and what to check?

Thank you.
Leonard Hooks
Revelation #856
Soli Deo Gloria