[C320-list] Perkins Engine - Glow Plug Activation

Dave Chase londoc at blackbury.com
Wed May 29 21:28:58 PDT 2019

We have a '94 C320 with Perkins M30. While installing a Balmar MC-614
regulator, I was tracing the ignition ckt wiring. I noted that the key
switch has three connections: "Pwr", "Ignition On", and "Start".
"Ignition On" is connected to "Pwr" when the key is turned to the right,
which provides power to the panel and engine electronics (via a ckt
breaker).  "Start" is connected to "Pwr" when the key is held to the far
right against the detent and is connected to the Starter button which
will activate the starter solenoid.

The glow plug relay is currently connected to the "Ignition On"
position, which means that the glow plugs will be energized whenever the
key is on. I am thinking that the relay should be connected to the Start
position which will energize the glow plugs only while the switch is
held to the right prior to starting. Can anybody confirm?

Dave Chase

1994 Cat 320 (#97) "Indigo"