[C320-list] Perkins Engine - Glow Plug Activation

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Thu May 30 05:59:32 PDT 2019

 Dave - This may not directly answer your question, but is definitely related.  Last year when having difficulty starting my boat, I realized that my glow plugs were constantly energized whenever my key switch was in the "on" position. My boat had only a 3 position key switch and no pushbutton.  Essentially my glow plugs were shot from being on constantly. I don't know if this was how my boat was setup originally.  Someone had replaced the key switch and may have changed how it originally worked.
My 3 positions on the key switch were "off", "on/run" and "start" (this last position is spring-loaded). What I was able to do was trace the wire between the glow plugs relay and the key switch (a brown/red wire) and interrupt that specific wire by installing a new pushbutton in that circuit on the engine panel near the key switch.
So now, I turn the key switch to "on" and push the button in to heat the glow plugs for about 15 seconds.  Then I simultaneously turn the key switch to "start".  When the engine starts I release both the key switch and pushbutton.
Your glow plugs may also be compromised like mine were, since they were on all the time. I replaced all of my glow plugs when I did the repair above.  All has been good ever since.
I have prepared a written procedure with photos that I can provide about replacing the glow plugs if desired.  I have submitted it and some other procedures to the association technical editors for possible publishing in the Mainsheet.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 (#32) "Mayan Sun"
Holland, MI