[C320-list] Jumbled mess

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 03:49:46 PST 2019

Folks-

This topic comes up from time to time.  There are multiple reasons that
"threading" problems occur on the C320-list.  Some of those reasons include
user error, but there are not so obvious reasons as well.  Prior to
switching the way the list was hosted on our web page (thanks for doing
that Jeff H.) there was a weird problem where if you hit reply to an
existing thread, changed the title of the thread, and deleted the existing
text (as Chuck suggests) then for some reason the new reply would STILL be
in the existing thread.  That seems to have stopped since the upgrade a
year or so ago.

As for the question originally posed by Graeme.  There are certainly much
better engines for collaboration on the web than a mailing list like the
C320-list.  It's important to recognize that the C320-list is essentially
just that...a mailing list.  It is only a forum in the philosophical sense
of the word.  Unfortunately there are many many barriers to simply
switching from a list format to a true web forum.  I think the biggest
concern is probably not even technical however, it really comes down to
manpower and math.  The ideal person to do the job A)Owns a C320 B)  Is web
savvy C) has lots of free time [ha, unlikely...see A...]   Finding someone
capable and willing to even attempt to switch us over will be incredibly
difficult, and IF we switched we would almost certainly lose participants
and content along the way.  Neither of those feel like desirable outcomes
to me.  Does it bother me that I can't simply look in the engine part of
the forum to find posts about heat exchangers and how to unclog the fresh
water drain lines?   Maybe a little, but the search function works well and
I would not want to lose access to all of the great stuff that has been
captured by previous C320 owners.   Gathering all the existing content,
cataloging it, placing it in the forum would be a herculean task if it's
even possible.

I'm just grateful to all the officers, etc. that are able to put a little
bit of time into the organization to keep this great resource alive.

FWIW-

Troy Dunn
Hull #514
WoNky Dog