[C320-list] Ideas on engine side electrical problem?

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 13:22:15 PDT 2019

My 1994 C320 #138 has a Perkins.

Was down at my 320 yesterday winterizing engine, so had engine cover off.
After having the console power on for a few minutes, but not engine
running, I began to smell an electrical smell coming from the engine
compartment.  I investigated with a flash light and saw trace elements of
smoke coming from area of solenoid/starter area (just behind alternator
fun, under coolant tank).  Additionally, I could hear a slight/faint
sizzling/hissing/crackling noise from the area, but noticed no visible
arching, but this is an obstructed view area.  Sound stopped as soon as
console power off, but would start again when back on.  Repeated several
times.

I was able to start the engine just fine (running only short enough to
flush anti-freeze through engine out of concern for electrical wiring), and
all else appears fine.

I haven't had the cover off with console power on in a while, so no idea
how long this has existed, but anytime I see smoke I'm concerned.

Racing to get boat winterized, didn't have time to investigate further that
day, but will be back at the yard this Saturday to look more.  I'm hoping
it's just a lose connection causing arching.  Haven't ever touched this
area of the engine.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Many thanks,
Christian Caperton