[C320-list] Ideas on engine side electrical problem?

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 16:48:28 PDT 2019

Total guess here, but I would immediately suspect the wiring is corroded at
the terminations.   On our boat, which has the later Yanmar, the engine
wiring is all untinned copper, and none of the OEM terminations are water
tight.   Over time moisture works its way into the wiring and corrodes it.
That effectively makes the wire a smaller gauge which increases resistance
and at some point can cause a fire if enough load is presented to the
circuit to draw a large current.  In general any time you let the smoke out
of your electronics it's definitely cause for concern.

On your engine...when you energize the circuit, does the glow plug
automatically start heating up or is that a deferent position on the start
switch.   Glow plugs pull a lot of current.     At some point you may want
to do some PM on all the wiring.

Must emphasize...just a guess.

Troy
S/V Wonky Dog