[C320-list] Through-Hulls

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 31 17:14:27 PDT 2019

Dave-
I don't have a macerator and associated thruhull.  My waste simply goes to the tank and l need to get pumpouts.
Regarding your thruhulls accessed via the small aft bedroom door, I only have 2.  One is the head water intake and the other is the drain for my head sink.  My shower has a drain hose that dumps directly into my bilge (dumb design). So, is your unlabeled one the head sink drain?
Pull out the drawers above the small door and you should be able to trace the hoses better.
Dave Hupe1994 C320 #32Holland, MI

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 1:24 PM, David Veeneman<davidv at veeneman.com> wrote:   I am taking inventory of the through-hulls on the Catalina 320 I bought a few months ago, and I’ve come across a couple of items that puzzle me. I have a through-hull that I can’t identify, and a Y-valve that I don’t understand.

In my aft cabin, on the starboard side of the cabin, I have two access doors, a large one and a small one. Both provide access to through-hulls with seacocks. The small door accesses three through-hulls. Two are labelled as the head inlet and the shower sump outlet. The third is unlabelled. Can anyone tell me what this third through-hull is? Here’s a picture of the layout:

It’s the front through-hull that’s unlabelled.

The large access door opens to a y-valve that appears to connect to the head outlet. A hand-drawn diagram on the bulkhead indicates that one y-valve setting directs directs the output to the holding tank (the current setting), and that a second setting is ‘off’. But the other hose from the y-valve leads to a through-hull with a seacock (which is closed). Here’s a picture of the y-valve:

The y-valve looks like its handle has broken off, so it looks like I’m going to have to replace the valve.

I understand the current y-valve setting—the head evacuates to the holding tank, which I can either pump out (which is what I do), or I can run its contents through the macerator and dump them in the ocean (which I haven’t done). I don’t understand the y-valve, which seems to give me the additional option of simply dumping the head directly into the ocean.

I can’t see any reason why I would use the y-valve setting that evacuates head output directly to the ocean. Is there a reason I would want to do that? Any light that you can shed on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA