[C320-list] Subfloor for cabin sole

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 15 06:47:03 PDT 2020

Hi David:

I did this project about a year ago, although I repaired a few bad spots in the plywood with epoxy rather than replacing all of it.

Assuming you’re doing this yourself, here’s a thought: I used the teak and holly Lonseal, and I found that the most difficult part of the job was matching the stripes between the floor and the hatches that provide access to the bilge.

I ended up with the stripes from one hatch about a quarter inch off because of difficulties in fitting a section of flooring under the chart table. Not enough for anyone else to notice, but enough to aggravate me. Thankfully, it is at a spot where my wife places a rug …

As an alternative, Lonseal makes a solid teak vinyl flooring that would avoid this problem. It’s not the traditional pattern but, in retrospect, that’s the one I would choose for its ease of installation.

A lot of this depends on your skills. You may be a better floor guy than me and have the knack for fitting everything perfectly. However …

I found a really sharp vinyl flooring knife to be the best tool for cutting.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay