[C320-list] Another dead reefer

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 13 13:23:02 PDT 2020

Hi Doug:

My refrigerator was in similar condition when I bought my 320 two years ago. My original thought was to repair it to save a few refit bucks, but I quickly found out it didn’t make much sense if it was anything more complicated than a fuse. (My fuses were fine.)

A new Adler-Barbour Cold Machine is about $1,300 complete at Defender.

Getting a pro to even look at the old fridge would run a couple of hundred dollars. Then there would be charges for adding new refrigerant plus replacing any bad parts, several of which would cost hundreds of dollars more, with labor tacked onto that.

Very quickly, it would add up to the price of a new fridge. And a repaired old one is not nearly as efficient as a new one. They’ve made big strides in engineering over the last 20 years.

The new ones are fairly easy to install. There have been several threads in the recent past on how to do it.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay