[C320-list] Rigging Tie Rods

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 09:00:10 PDT 2020

Michael-
I had one rod that was loose to the point I could shake it back and forth and hear a slight rattle.  I snugged it up just enough with an open end wrench to eliminate the play.  I think if you torque it too much you risk cracking the deck at the chain plate (not good).
I think I read an earlier post about just snugging it up.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 10:01 AM, Michael Leschisin<mleschisin at imagestudios.com> wrote:   Hey all,

I need to snug down the tie rods for the standing rigging on my boat.  (The rods we all have on the interior of the boat that anchor the rigging to the hull behind the settees.).
I believe the fore and aft tie rod nuts are 3/4 inch.  Does anyone know the exact size of the center tie rod nut?  I measured it with calipers but its pretty difficult to get to cleanly, so I’m not sure if it’s an inch and 1/16th, an inch and 1/8th or possibly 27mm.

I’m also looking for some advice on a source for extra long sockets since the rod extends about two and a half inches beyond the nut.  I can get a combination wrench on the fore and aft rods, but the ability to turn the wrench is very limited.  I’m guessing the center rods, with an even larger wrench, will be even more restricted so it seems a socket would be the way to go…. any experience in this area?  I’m guessing there are no standard torque specs for these nuts but if someone knows otherwise that would also be a great help.

Thanks for the help,

Michael Leschisin

Wild Blue Yonder
Menominee, MI