[C320-list] Rigging Tie Rods

Michael Leschisin mleschisin at imagestudios.com
Tue Aug 18 10:30:22 PDT 2020

Thanks all for the info on snugging down the rigging tie rods.

I’m not sure how much turning radius in available up and under the storage bins where the rods are anchored, but it seems a crow’s foot is the best option.

The reason I’m looking to tighten the rods, is that I have a creak noise coming from the joint between the headliner and the rear head bulkhead. (the bulkhead that is between the head and the stateroom).  When the boat is going to wind, especially under heavier wind, I get a creaking sound from what appears to be the top of the bulkhead as the hull flexes and relaxes with the waves.  A local boat tech suggested I make sure the tie rods are properly tensioned since a loose rod, anchored to tight rigging, could be causing flex in the deck and making the sound.  Sounds like a plausible explanation, so I’ll loosen the rigging, make sure the rods are tight and then retune the rig.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar sound form the bulk head joint and if there are any other ideas on what could be causing this sound.  I believe the whole head unit is an independent structure that is placed into the boat as the hull to deck joint is put together.  I talked with Catalina and from what I’m told, this structure is caulked in and simply floats in the channels of the headliner and floor with no hard tabbing that attaches it.

If anyone has any ideas on chasing this ghost……

Thanks,

Michael Leschisin

Menominee, MI