[C320-list] Water under holding tank

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 11:33:35 PDT 2020

 There is a 1996 drawing from Catalina with recommendations for hulls #355 and older about adding 9 drain holes so water can be drained from within the structural liner into the bilge areas (shallow bilge on the older boats).
I just noticed their note #3 on the last page specifically talking about water below the sink or waste tank.  There is supposed to be a hose capturing water that might seep out of the packing gland to route it beneath the engine pan and empty it directly into the bilge.  My boat #32 does NOT have a hose. Instead, any water that builds up near my packing gland eventually can build up to the point where the water enters a hole just aft of the engine pan (this is where the hose should start).  That water on my boat can then just get into the structural grid.  When I first bought our boat and replaced the packing gland I had a  bunch of water seepage that really flooded my structural grid. .... I thought the keel bolts were leaking (NOT).
I have meant to try to install the missing hose and seal it at both ends where it enters the aft hole and the bilge exit point so that it gets directly to the bilge. I have not done this because my packing gland dripping is so small now that I just keep a sponge laying in the low point under the drive shaft and squeeze it out frequently.
So ...... if any of you have water accumulating below the sink or waste storage tank, do you have a hose under the engine pan sealed like it should be to direct water to the bilge?  If not, how much does your packing gland leak?  Maybe this is part of your problem, along with water leakage from things like the emergency tiller port that also can feed water to the structural grid (and maybe show up under your waste tank).  Make sure too that your propane tank "pan" is not leaking.  In a rain, stick your head down into the port side aft locker and watch for water dripping around the propane tank area.  Leakage from both the emergency tiller port and propane tank pan were huge sources of water problems on my boat when I bought her ...... each were very east to fix.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32 "Mayan Sun"
Holland, MI