[C320-list] Alternator upgrade

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 25 14:46:29 PDT 2020

Graeme is on target with this advice.

I had a Sterling alternator to battery charger – cost, maybe $350 – on my previous sailboat that worked very well. Ninety minutes of motoring with the standard alternator on a Yanmar 2gm20 would bring a house bank of two golf-cart batteries plus a start battery close to full.

It’s bulky, but relatively easy to install. Just remember that you need to use thick battery cables to connect everything up.

I don’t have one on my 320 because I’ve found that 160 watts of solar with an MPPT controller is enough in Florida to keep my battery banks charged on a cruise. I get 5-8 amps an hour in daylight.

You could do solar and a Sterling for less money than a Balmar, which is a great system, but $$$.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10