[C320-list] Alternator upgrade

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 23:57:38 PDT 2020

I’ve a feeling this is going to be a bit like one of those threads about which anchor is best! Everyone has a different view which is dependent to a degree on their local environment!

There is a good article (albeit trying to sell you a new alternator) here : https://www.mastervolt.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-alternators-and-charge-regulators/ <https://www.mastervolt.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-alternators-and-charge-regulators/>

If you don't  have time to read it in depth here are some edited highlights!

"Standard alternators, originally designed for the car industry, only deliver sufficient energy to both charge the batteries and power the various onboard consumers when they reach a very high rpm.

These alternators also tend to be temperature-sensitive: In a higher ambient temperature, such as is common in an engine room, their output quickly falls by 50 % or more. This is not a problem in cars as the small amount of energy used during, for instance, starting can be recharged in no time, and windscreen wipers, ventilators, etc. do not need a great deal of power. In general, a car engine also runs at a far higher rpm than a boat’s engine, and the temperature under the hood is lower due to the cooling effect of the head wind.

Make sure you do not choose your alternator too small. A larger one will ensure that the battery is charged faster and engine hours are kept to a minimum – we suggest choosing an amperage between 30 and 50 % of the battery capacity.

The standard alternator designed for road vehicles has a voltage regulator mounted to the back of the alternator and set to a single charge voltage of 14v. This is sufficient for a car battery, which is rarely (if ever) discharged. Furthermore, the voltage regulator of an automotive alternator is often temperature sensitive and in high temperatures regulates the voltage even further down, often to 13.5  volt. This is much too low for sufficiently recharging a discharged battery. The maximum achievable battery capacity for these voltage levels is around 60 to 70 %. The lifespan of a battery is significantly lower if it is never properly charged. In order to adequately recharge a partially empty or completely flat battery at 25 ºC, (77F) voltage need to be 14.25 volt Once the battery is 100 % full, this voltage must be reduced to 13.25  (float phase) to prevent the batteries from becoming overcharged.  A “ smart” charge regulator maximizes the output of the alternator by regulating the alternator in a way that the batteries receive the optimum charge.

Graeme
#366, 1996