[C320-list] Alternator upgrade

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 08:55:29 PDT 2020

"Victron is regarded as a top-notch maker of electronics (I have an
inverter). The MPPT solar controller is a little pricey compared to
competitors, mostly because you have to buy a dongle that connects to your
cell phone to give you data."

The latest Victron MPPT controllers have bluetooth built in, you no longer
have to buy the bluetooth dongle.  I have 2 of them, and am VERY impressed
with their android software.

Almost a year ago, I installed solar panels. Best upgrade I've done yet.
Description of my setup:
-2 renogy 160 Watt panels
-2 Victron MPPT Controllers (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NPQHQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
Though this model handles more amps than one of my panels produces, but
this was the lowest tier model Victron offers that has a heat sink, which I
thought important since mounted in port lazarette, an enclosed space with
no airflow, on back of galley "bread box" locker (aft of fridge/cooler).
-Installed Garhauer (1-1/4" tubing) dinghy davits, and mounted my panels on
top of these davits.  I don't have a dinghy, so skipped the block and
tackle for the davits to save a little bit of money.  These were custom
made davits from Garhauer, I had them made a little taller, and the end of
the arms a little longer (so that some of my mounts for solar panels had
room).  The contact at Garhauer tried talking me into 1" tube davits since
I was using them only for solar panel mounting, but I went with the 1-1/4"
tube in case next owner wants to haul a dinghy.  All the next owner would
have to do is buy the block and tackle.  The 1-1/4" tube did make it more
challenging to find fittings for the mounts, but I did find all the parts I
needed.  My mount structure has held up perfect for a year, showing no weak
points.  And recently withstood a Chicago storm that saw 100 mph winds for
20 mins.  I think it's sound. Garhauer saved my specs, so if you are
interested, they can look up the order by my name if you want duplicate
made.
-I got all my stainless fittings (except one, more on that in a min) from
http://marinepartdepot.com/ One part I ordered, a 1-1/4" 90 degree elbow,
both of them were not manufactured correct, and would NOT fit a 1-1/4"
tube.  They don't take returns, but I saved so much on the other parts,
just wrote that off as a loss.  I had to source the elbows from another
source (and paid premium price, but just way it goes with marine parts).
Marinepartsdepot gets questionable reviews, some say they never get their
parts.  I've placed about 4-5 orders with them, and always got my order
correct, and in a timely manner.  Just only order parts listed as in stock,
and know you won't be able to return anything to them, even if it's a
defect part.
-I used 8 AWG PV wire with MC4 connectors that ran from panels, down
mounts, through stern cowl, cut a slit in the cowl vent tube, passed wire
through tube, and ran to fore of port locker.  I bought 80' of this wire
(used about 65' in total for each red and black), red and black from
HomeDepot (
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindyNation-8-Gauge-One-Pair-80-ft-Black-80-ft-Red-Solar-Panel-Extension-Cable-Wire-PV-Connector-CBL-SLRRB-08-80/307763317)
The Victron controllers only accept a max of 10 AWG, so I had to down step
to 10 AWG right before the controller.  It was difficult to find a MC4
connector that would fit 8 AWG, but I did.  More difficult to find an
affordable crimper that would work on 8 AWG, I didn't, but a 10 AWG crimper
did the job.  I used MC4 to connect the 10 AWG short lead to the Victron,
as getting the wires into the Victron is a headache, and if I needed to
disconnect wires, MC4 is easier than dealing with the line into the
Victron.  I ran 8 AWG as long as I could to minimize voltage loss (its all
about maximizing your voltage to your controller.
-I used 2 Victron controllers to keep things simple, and bullet proof.  One
per panel, one per battery.  From the Victron, I tied into the battery
posts on my shore power controller.  Both the Victron and my shore power
controller have diodes to prevent backflow of current, should I be on shore
power (which I never have), or current from alternator to Victron
controllers.
-The crimper I used was
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFUW3LY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-I used 1-1/4" aluminum polished tube I bought off amazon for my main
horizontal upper support (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1E9B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
I used 1" aluminum polished tube for my vertical supports (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IZ37HU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
)
-I used 2 renogy mount brackets for the for outter corner of each panel (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W49ZPPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
)
-On aft side of each panel, I mounted 2 strips of flat aluminum bar I got
from Home Depot.  I doubled each bar to be extra strong.  Then, on these
strips, I mounted rail clamps (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TUNSR9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
that would attach to my 1-1/4" horizontal aluminum tube.
-I bought a stainless steel tube cutter from Home Depot
-On fore side of panels, on inner corner, this was the only corners not
secured.  I mounted an angle bracket (aluminum) across this gap, for better
support.

I mounted my panels high enough so that I (I'm 6') could walk through the
swim platform without ducking.  This required me to back into a slip at my
yacht club to attach the panels and mounts to the dinghy davits, as it was
too high and too far back to safely do on land.  People laughed at me when
I was doing this, cause I had an umbrella hung upside down under all my
work areas.  But, I never lost a screw or a tool into the water as a result!

I think this covers everything I did. On a good day, I'm producing about
120 watts and hours, about 7~8 amps, from each panel.  I still alternate
battery switch on batteries on outtings.  I only have 2 batteries, 2 4D. No
starter battery.

Pics of my setup: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1tXsSYAnMQ/ (Ensure to click
arrow on pic to see more pics, there are 10 pics).

Feel free to ask any questions on my setup.
-Christian Caperton
1994 C320 "Canuck" #138 Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL