[C320-list] How far offshore?

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Fri Aug 28 20:43:26 PDT 2020

Graeme,

What makes an offshore boat is a subject that has been debated at all yacht clubs and harbor bars for hundreds of years.   I won't get into that but will support the observations that a 320 will pound going to weather in ocean waves.  Maybe not so much in swells like you might encounter in the pacific, but definitely in the short choppy waves that are the norm in the Gulf of Mexico where I sail.

No one mentioned how far they have sailed offshore.  I know my trips are not the longest but I have sailed 500+ miles from the coast of Texas to Veracruz Mexico in a race back in 2006.  I think Catalina Yachts used to have a spot on their website where significant cruises completed on Catalinas were logged.  You might want to see if it is still there.

As far as the open transom, I think your concerns might be misplaced.  When we purchased WindSwept, my wife liked that feature for swimming and boarding the dink.  I thought it was very poor design that would put the boat at risk in a large following sea.  I was wrong.  On one trip in the Gulf we were sailing in a large following sea with winds in the 25 kt range.  Of course it was dark, everything always seems to happen at night.  We were watching in amazement as the big waves would come up behind the stern and the stern wound then rise up and the wave the passed under WindSwept.  Until one didn't.  It broke in the cockpit.  The cockpit filled to just where the first hatch board should have been.  The water then ran out the transom under the insert in just a few seconds.  It could never have drained that quickly through a more normal scupper arrangement.    Take a look at the offshore racing monohulls in races like the Volvo.  They all have wide open transoms.  I now see it as a good thing.

Larry
WindSwept
C320#246