[C320-list] How far offshore?

Allan Field allanfield47 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 08:02:56 PDT 2020

(Not sure this went out the first time...)

According to Catalina, all Catalinas over 30-feet are rated A by the
Recreational Craft Directive, as stated below:

In 1998 the European Union created a Recreational Craft Directive that
established design standards for most recreational boats from 2.5 to 24
meters (8 to 79 feet). New and used boats sold in Europe, including boats
built in the US – or anywhere else – for export to Europe, must be
certified as complying with one of four design categories.

The following four design categories help to quantify a boat’s degree of
seaworthiness, based on the wave height and wind speed the boat is designed
to encounter and handle. The further offshore the vessel is expected to
venture, the higher are the expectations for construction strength,
stability, freeboard, reserve buoyancy, resistance to downflooding, deck
drainage and other seaworthiness criteria.

   - *Category A – Ocean:* covers largely self-sufficient boats designed
   for extended voyages with winds of over Beaufort Force 8 (over 40 knots),
   and significant wave heights above 13 feet, but excluding abnormal
   conditions such as hurricanes.
   - *Category B – Offshore:*  includes boats operating offshore with winds
   to 40 knots and significant seas to 13 feet.
   - *Category C – Inshore:* is for boats operating in coastal waters and
   large bays and lakes with winds to Force 6, up to 27 knots, and significant
   seas 7 feet high.
   - *Category D – Inland or sheltered coastal waters:* is for boats in
   small lakes and rivers with winds to Force 4 and significant wave heights
   to 18 inches.

Since the number of people onboard can impact a boat’s seaworthiness,
changing the number of people on the boat can also change its category,
with more people aboard -- and more weight and potentially less stability
-- putting a boat into the next lower category.

Allan S. Field

Sea Shadow - C387, #103 (formerly C320, #808)

Columbia, MD