[C320-list] 320 vs. something just a little bigger

Allan Field allanfield47 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 17:05:15 PST 2020

Paul - I can share our experience. We had our C320 for 16 years and an
Ericson 30+ for 13 years before that. For us, the C320 was a perfect
Chesapeake Bay boat while we were working and sailing mostly like you are
currently - weekends and 1-2 weeks during the summer. Going into retirement
- I am 73 now, LInda almost 70 - we knew that we'd be using the boat
differently and a lot more. Accordingly, after thinking things through, we
knew there were 3 key things we wanted in our next boat: 1) A midline bunk
so one would not be crawling over the other in the middle of the night. 2)
Roller furling main (despite its bad rep') as we did not want to spend any
more time than necessary out of the cockpit as we aged. 3) We knew we
wanted another Catalina. We found a Catalina 387 4 years ago that met our
criteria and purchased her. There is a lot that we still miss about the
C320, such as the fridge when compared to the C387, but overall are glad we
did this. We consciously did not add a whisker pole as sailing with a
spinnaker would take us out of the cockpit. I really miss the pole when
sailing DDW but will not add one. What I miss the most is an A-Sym sail but
again, will not add one.

Hope this helps!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - C387, #103 - formerly C320, #808
Columbia, MD