[C320-list] Lightning Strike Dissipater

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Mon Dec 14 14:05:53 PST 2020

Hello To All:

My 320 was hit at a mooring in MA.  Boat was owned by first owner.  It was
not a direct hit , I guess it was a plasma discharge, but the charge did
well enough damage.  Killed the Windex, radio which was charred along with
the antenna connection inside, fridge electronics burned to a crisp and the
wiring in the mast destroyed, but no structural damage to the hull which is
why I believe it was just an intense plasma cloud that was not part of the
direct charge dissipation.  All of that stuff was replaced.  I installed one
of the dissipaters at mast head.  The explanation for this device and the
physics related to the tendrils that form to make contact before a strike
occurs makes sense.  Not much invested for some possible protection.

Petite Suite hull 718

Jeffrey Kapec

Tanaka Kapec Design Group

11 Brookfield St.   Norwalk, CT 06851