[C320-list] 320 vs. something just a little bigger

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:15:31 PST 2020

Jack you make an excellent point that I forgot.  A good surveyor can not be
underestimated.   Cut this corner and you could be in a world of hurt.   We
paid to fly our surveyor from Fort Lauderdale,FL to Havre De Grace,MD.
Your first surveyor should be you...do the best job you can...there are
tons of items to watch out for on a 320 and they are all easily found right
here.   Don't be afraid to walk away if it doesn’t feel right.   When it
does feel right, call your surveyor and tell them everything you know so
far including what you think you are expecting to pay to fix the boat up,
and then decide together if this is the boat to survey.   A good surveyor
who knows you are serious will work with you to ensure the survey isn’t a
waste of his time and your money.

Also...you may run into some yacht brokers who won’t let you pre-survey the
boat.   They will come up with a whole bunch of BS reasons not to let you
poke around, this should be a red flag, at best they are just an
unscrupulous broker who knows that once you put money into a survey you
will find it harder to walk away...at worst...they are hiding something
about the boat they know about already.

I'm trying to help a friend find a boat.   This summer he had a broker tell
him he couldn’t run the A/C and some other of the soon to be admirals'
required amenities.  Boat was in the water on shore power.   My friend said
that felt odd.  Sure does I said...trust your gut...that's your
subconscious trying to protect you.

FWIW

Troy