[C320-list] Trojan battery installation

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 13:58:08 PST 2020

On Hull #514 which is a 1998, the GC2s fit but it’s a tight squeeze and
adding MRBF fuses to the batteries adds additional height above the top of
the battery post.   If you are using some other fuse configuration you
shouldn't have an issue.  I made it work even with the MRBFs for a summer,
but decided to rip out the shelves this winter and drop them about an
inch.  You can do this because the shelf is wider than necessary and making
it narrower buys you back additional headroom.   This modification is a bit
more challenging than I had hoped but it's almost done now.  I should have
final pictures posted in my gallery by the end of January if the weather
stays as warm as it has been.   You can see how things were configured this
summer in my owners gallery already.  There are also schematics there that
show how the DC wiring is done for the entire boat.

I think you were saying you want to orient the batteries the opposite way
from how mine are oriented.   If you turn the GC2s sideways with the length
going from port to starboard, I don't think there will be enough shelf
width to do that.  Make a  template of your battery box footprint out of
cardboard and play around with that before buying the batteries.   Lugging
batteries around is a pain in the arse.

Trojan makes a fantastic battery as does US Battery.  I came up empty
trying to  find other brands with anything near the same price per amp hour
in the same form factor.   I ended up with the US Battery because I got a
fantastic deal on them.

Good luck.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514