[C320-list] Expired Flare Kits

Brian McLamb bjcnmclamb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 07:34:30 PST 2020

Hello David.  I had this same issue a couple of years ago and here is my
saga.  Local fire department and US Coast Guard Aux had no rules to cover
such items, and would not accept them for disposal.  I continued to pursue
the matter all the way to the NC State Fire Marshall's Office and they
could find no state guidelines for disposal.  Universal answer that I
received was to soak the flare completely submerged in a large tub or
bucket for at least 24 hours,  The longer the better for complete
saturation.  Once this has been done you can throw them away in the normal
trash disposal.  I do not know where you are located so perhaps a different
state fire marshal could give you a different answer.  Also, you could save
them for back-ups to your new flares.  I replaced mine with the strobe
light approved by the US Coast Guard for distress signaling.  It is battery
operated and may be purchesed at several marine distributors including WM.
It holds up very well and is extremely bright.  It even blinks SOS
automatically on one of its settings.

Brian McLamb
s/v Serenity #1075