[C320-list] Perkins M30 diesel water temperature sending units

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Tue Jan 21 10:47:15 PST 2020

The filter size for the Racor and the secondary filter generate conflicting
opinions.  I personally think it depends on how much you use your motor, and
how often you are willing to change the filter.

On my boat, I use a 2 micron filter on both my Racor and my secondary
filter. I also usually change the Racor when I do an oil and oil filter
change once a year in the winter, even though I am nowhere close to the
maximum number of engine hours the manufacturer recommends.  Some would
argue what I'm doing is overkill.  But it's a lot cheaper to replace a
filter than to rebuild an injector pump if enough crud gets through the
filter to damage the pump.  And I'd also rather change the filter at the
dock, on a day when there's no wind to sail, instead of while bouncing
around after a clog shut down the motor.

I've seen the argument that the 2 micron filters could starve the engine.
But according to Racor the maximum flow through the filter (when new) is
something like 12gph.  My Perkins only burns about 1/2 - 3/4 gph at cruising
speeds, so I think the filter would have to be pretty thoroughly clogged to
get below that flow rate.  With an annual change of the Racor, and changing
the secondary every 2-3 years, I haven't encountered any problems with
clogging.  But the longer you go between filter changes, the more chance
that the finer filter could get clogged.

You can also find differing opinions about whether the secondary filter
should be the same size as the Racor. Theoretically nothing should be
reaching the secondary filter that is bigger than the screen size of the
Racor filter.  If you use a finer filter on the secondary than the Racor, it
could catch things that got through the Racor, but then you're more likely
to clog the secondary filter.  Some folks argue that using a slightly
coarser filter on the secondary means that it is less likely to clog from
bad fuel, and you'll only have to change the Racor if a clog shuts down the
engine.  But even then I'd want to at least use the coarsest filter size
that would protect the injector pump.  (Maybe a 10 micron?)

For me it's not that hard or that expensive to do the Racor when I change
the oil and oil filter, and I've had no problems with the finer filters on
that schedule.  But if I were using the motor more hours, I might make a
different choice.  I wish you good luck with whatever choice you make.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA