[C320-list] Drain aqua lift muffler? Engine won't start aftercharging batteries overnight

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 4 18:46:07 PDT 2020

Well, I may have all of you beat.

A couple of years ago, we were on a weekend trip in Tampa Bay, banging our way through a four-foot chop. Suddenly, without any warning, we started sailing in circles. What the hell?

It was so unexpected that it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what had happened. The last time I had anchored, I had hurriedly tied a bad knot on the line that holds the anchor on the bow roller. The chop was bad enough that the knot worked loose.

Well, the bay was  about 12 feet deep at that place, so it only took a short drop for the anchor to hit bottom and set. We were sailing around our anchor on 130 feet of line and chain in the middle of the bay!

In fact, it set so well that I had a difficult time getting the anchor back up. It became a good but embarrassing story that night when we were anchored out with other members of our cruising club.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay