[C320-list] Help with Perkins M-30

Rick Smith ricksmith4333 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:28:59 PDT 2020

Good afternoon C-320 list!  I’ve been off the list for several years and now time to rejoin...am hoping to get some help on trouble shooting a nagging problem with the Perkins M-30 on my Layla, hull #136.  I’m original owner, bought in 1994, been in fresh water on Lake Lanier near Atlanta for the last 26 years.

Mystery: losing significant fluid from the cooling system and don’t know where it’s going.  First thought was into the oil and that proved correct – so replaced head gasket etc. and now oil is clean and not cloudy.  But still losing about 45-50 oz of fluid in a 45 minute motor time from my club to the race course.  No fluid visible in the bilge and no movement in/out of the external reservoir.  Engine temp runs steady at 180.

Any guidance from anyone who has experienced this problem or has ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Rick Smith
Layla #136