[C320-list] Heaving-to

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 23 19:07:31 PDT 2020

Hi David:

I think you’re right. But there’s more to that whole story. I’ve read his books, many of his magazine articles and his web site.

James Baldwin cruised the world in a small, heavy, skinny, full-keeled sailboat and obviously has a bias toward that design. (I sailed a very similar Bristol 30 for many years.) So he had an attitude and a point to prove when he sailed that 320 down to the islands.

He should have waited for a weather window, but he purposefully put that 320 through rough conditions, hoping to show how inadequate the design was for open waters. He also sailed the hell out of it when he should have eased up and not fought the rough seas.

Long-keeled sailboats and the 320 are vastly different beasts. His Alberg could cruise through almost anything with few problems, but at 4 knots, a 30-degree heel and with no room below. Your 320 will hit 7.5 knots and is roomy, but requires gentler handling when conditions get rough.

Everyone has an opinion, but many experts say boats like the 320 should forereach instead of heaving to, for reasons I only partly understand. Generally, a little rolled-out jib will do the trick, although it’s possible backwinding may help you self-steer in certain conditions.

Personally, I think I’ve screwed up the few times I’ve wound up in continuing conditions of more than 25 knots. Down here in Florida, that means very rough seas. In squalls, I’ll just roll out a minimum of jib and ride it out.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10