[C320-list] running rigging recommendations

Melissa&Larry Leibman theleibmans at verizon.net
Tue Jun 2 18:04:44 PDT 2020

Hi Scott,

I recently ordered Samson XLS-3 11mm for my mainsheet.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=6740504

It is on sale now. Although I haven’t put it in service yet I’ve received it and it seems to have a nice hand to it, good for a mainsheet. I’m not especially concerned with stretch on a mainsheet for the kind of sailing I do (you could argue it adds some shock absorption, at least that’s what I tell myself).

I have a several year old jib halyard in Sta-Set X that I had originally spliced for the shackle. Last year I decided to cut the last few feet off of it and was a little lazy so put a halyard hitch in it and it held fine all year. I replaced the main halyard a couple of years ago with Samson XLS-T which I like better than the Sta-Set X since it is much less stiff (good for a sail you raise every time). IIRC it had similar stretch to the Sta-Set X. Samson revamped their model line so I’m not sure what the new Samson equivalent is.

Kind regards,

Larry Leibman
Hull #609
S/V Easy Going