[C320-list] Electric fuel pump for Yanmar

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Wed Jun 3 14:05:17 PDT 2020

Dave,

Will do. I am thinking about mounting the toggle switch in the same compartment as the thru-hull for the raw water. I always close my thru-hull after sailing, so that seems like an easily accessible location.

1. I did think about just putting an inlet barb instead of the inlet filter. It seems overly redundant to have three filters. Then again, it is 74-micron, so I also think it would only catch really big stuff.
2. I am sailing with a guy starting Monday (we leave Annapolis, head to Block Island, RI, back by NYC, and return to Annapolis). He has a fuel polishing system installed and he said turning the tank over once per hour is the goal. I could go with this pump (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=8440 <https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=8440> ) since our tanks are only 19 gallons (or mine is, anyway). He suggested, though, that I put a dedicated pick-up and polish the fuel on an entirely separate system, with a Y fitting that would allow me to use the polisher in an emergency to supply fuel to the lift pump. But this requires me to tap the tank for the second pick-up. I guess I could put a diverter on the outlet side of the fuel pump and use it at the dock as a polisher or underway as a bleed pump/lift pump.

To be honest, I just need to get something installed to see if that is my fuel problem. My boat would not start again on Monday. I got it started eventually, but not with enough confidence that the Admiral would approve a “shove off” order. It ran fine after I eventually got it started. We sailed with some friends for about 3 hours. It started when we came back that evening. Then it would not start on Tuesday. Same cycle again. So I suspect the lift pump, though I am not confident.

My plan is to do the install and see if that corrects my problem. Then I can replace the manual lift pump and have a primary and a back-up. I think I will go with the higher flow pump above. You talked me into it.

Now, if anyone can confirm fuel lines are 5/16”, I can order and get it installed. If there is nothing heard, I will order it at 5/16” and adjust accordingly.

Thanks,

Jeff