[C320-list] Engine overheating; cooling system not functioning

William Russell wcr6450 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 08:41:58 PDT 2020

After my high temp alarm went off, I discovered I was getting no cooling
water out the back end.  I’ve tried many things to fix it, but can’t get it
working. They include:
1) replacing the impeller.  The old one was shredded, with all vanes
sheared off.  I successfully replaced it with a new one.
2) inspecting hoses for pieces of damaged impeller.  Found many in hose
from pump to heat exchanger, as expected.  But surprisingly, found two in
the supply hose coming into the pump, and one all the way back in the hose
between the intake thru hull and the strainer.  Any ideas about how pieces
could get all the way back there?
3) after establishing water flow to the pump, with no apparent blockages
all the way to the heat exchanger, I still get no cooling water all the way
through.  There is no water in the muffler tank.  The anti siphon valve
seems clean and functional.  I ran the engine up to 180 degrees to make
sure the thermostat could open correctly.  Still no exhaust water out the
back end.
This is a fresh-water boat, so no apparent corrosion or salt buildup.

I’m stumped - any advice?

Bill Russell
“Little Wing,” 1998 C-320, #545
Cayuga Lake