[C320-list] ST4000 Autopilot with Lewmar Folding Wheel

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Mon Jun 8 09:47:39 PDT 2020

Hey all,

I finally have our 2001 C320 back in the water after a year and a half.
We couldn't launch last year due to flooding.

Anyway, I have the original ST4000 autopilot, but I have upgraded my
wheel to the Lewmar folding wheel.  Everything works fine, except that
the wheel tends to pull the ST4000 wheel drive apart.

Since the spokes are larger on the Lewmar wheel than the original, and
they are swept back a bit, I had to change the brackets that go around
the spokes to a larger size.  However, the brackets tend to pull the
drive unit apart.  I currently just have some rolled up black tape
stuffed between the spoke and the drive unit, but need a better solution.

Have any of you run into this?  If so, how did you solve it more elegantly.

Thanks,

Dean Vermeire

Moonstruck II, #847