[C320-list] Westerbeke 30b

Mike Mellon mmellon at cruzio.com
Sun Jun 14 09:24:19 PDT 2020

Hello, Dan.  I am not on the boat presently, so I can't check for sure.
But my recollection is that the original Johnson pump on our 30B (1996
320) does have a weep hole at the bottom, and it should be clear.  In
that pump, the is an oil seal closest to the engine, and another seal
closer to the impeller that seals the water pump chamber.  The weep
(drain) hole is in between them, so if the water seal does not seal
perfectly, then any excess water will be drained out.  If there is a lot
of water coming out (I would guess more than a drop every few minutes),
that indicates the water seal is failing.

The pump can be rebuilt or replaced with the newer design (I don't have
access to the part numbers right now).

When I am on the boat, I'll check this original pump (which is now a
rebuilt spare) and the newer pump that replaced the original and inspect
them for the drain hole.

Best regards,

Mike Mellon
LaVida, 1996, #324