[C320-list] Loaded Chesapeake question (US East Coast)

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 15 14:51:05 PDT 2020

I can only comment on the Maryland portion. The one time I got close to
the Virginia line I told my kids we had to turn back rather than sail
off the chart! Roughly from South to North here is my list of possible
places to check out:

Crisfield on Tangier Sound (good municipal marina. Leave your boat there
for a day and take the ferry to Smith Island before it vanishes.
Unfortunately other beautiful places off Tangier Sound are too shallow
for a 320.)

Saint Mary's River just inside the Potomac. Pretty, rural anchorage near
the original Maryland English colony. You could probably spend a week
exploring the Potomac, but I never have.

Solomons Island in the Patuxent. More of a marina town but you can
anchor out. There is a good maritime museum.

St. Leonards Creek. This is a bit further up the Patuxent. Quite scenic.
I've never been up the Patuxent further.

Anywhere on the Choptank or the many creeks and rivers that flow in. La
Trappe Creek is my favorite, but there are dozens of beautiful
anchorages. Harris Creek is also very nice, as is the Tred Avon River.
Oxford is a quaint historic town with a historic inn and good marinas.
Also a good boatyard for mechanical work. You can anchor out there but
it's a bit exposed. Knapps Narrows has old Chesapeake charm and a nice
transient marina, but the west side channel can be tricky to impassable.

St. Michaels. The town has become a bit touristy but still worth a
visit. The Crab Claw restaurant is an old favorite. The Chesapeake
Maritime Museum is not to be missed. You can tie up there (for a fee) if
you become a member.

The Wye River. Lots of beautiful anchorages surrounded by nature. The
Wye Island shoreline is mostly undeveloped. The narrow channel across
the northeast part of the Island is especially beautiful, but needs to
be navigated carefully. A 320 can make it all the way to the fixed
bridge, however, which is the only thing that prevents a full
circumnavigation of Wye Island.

The West River and Rhode River. We like the anchorage just inside the
Rhode River. It has a long undeveloped beach on land that I've been told
is owned by the Smithsonian for research.

Annapolis. You can anchor out but perhaps better to get a mooring.
Incredible history here (visit the statehouse, or any one of numerous
historic homes and museums) and an amazing amount of sailboat traffic.
Lots of good restaurants.

Severn and Magothy Rivers. Plenty of nice anchorages, but the waterfront
is developed almost everywhere. I am on the Magothy and know it better.
We like the anchorage just north of Gibson Island, and also Broad Creek.
You can anchor out in the River proper if you go further upstream where
it narrows.

Langford Creek off the Chester River.  Incredible natural beauty,
especially on the East Branch. Routinely see Bald Eagles here. Lots of
good places to anchor out.

Corsica River off the Chester River. Similar to Langford but more built
up on the shoreline.

Baltimore. Not really a place to anchor out but it's interesting to
visit the harbor and see all the shipping. There are some good marinas
I'm told but I've never actually stayed at any of them. You can visit
Ft. McHenry. Lots to do on the Inner Harbor waterfront including the
National Aquarium, the US Constellation (historic square rigger), and
interesting nearby neighborhoods.

Sassafras River. Beautiful fall colors. Probably the nicest place in the
far northern Bay. Good anchorages once you get a bit upstream. Too open
to anchor out comfortably in the lower parts of the river.

That's too long a list most likely, but if I had to prioritize I would
put La Trappe Creek and Langford Creek near the top.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653