[C320-list] Battery Woes

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 16 08:53:59 PDT 2020

Hi Dean:

If it is your system, it is in the ground cable. Make sure you didn’t forget to hook up one of the ground cables and that all of them are securely tightened.

In addition, there is a ground buss behind the circuit breaker panel. (Black wires) Poke around there with the 110 volt off, for obvious reasons, and make sure the large cable that runs from the buss back to the batteries is securely tightened.

You could charge the batteries for several hours with an auto store charger (only while you’re there and watching) and your boat electrics turned off. Then put a load on the batteries with a 12-volt fan or something similar connected directly to the batteries, not through the boat system.

 If the voltage drops to 11 or so, it’s the batteries. If the batteries keep their charge, it’s the ground in your boat system.

My 320 was a repo that had been sabotaged somewhere along the way. One of the tricks was loosening the main ground cable at the buss.  I went on a short trip, and all of the electrical went out, with the system showing 11 volts or so. (The diesel and start battery were wired separately and worked fine.)

I accidentally found the loose screw, tightened it and charged the batteries. Everything was fine after that.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10