[C320-list] Heat Exchanger Removal - Perkins M30

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 08:37:30 PDT 2020

"Does anyone have a simple heat exchanger removal checklist or set of
instructions? I would like to remove my heat exchanger and clean it"

1. You'll make a mess.  Have a bucket to set exchanger in.  Keep plenty of
towels on hand.
2. I don't know if it matters, but I've always learned to put things back
in EXACTLY as I found them.  When you slide the exchanger out, there will
be two circular windows in exchanger (allows the coolant to flow in/out),
both aligned.  Might note the window positions are top/bottom,
port/starboard.  Also note the for and after sides of the tube (there
should be some writing/label on the tube you can use to orientate for/aft).
3. I'm in fresh water, when I pulled mine it was very clean.  That said I
did blow some compressed air through the "straw" tubes front to back.  Be
mindful that this is soft metal, and high pressure air blown through a tube
of aging metal, even a barnacle could marring, and if a tube was clogged,
might rupture tube.  So be mindful.
4. I'd suggest replacing the exchanger for and aft rubber cups.  Was rec'ed
to me to do, and perfect time to do so.  I ordered mine from
TransAtlanticDiesel.  I might be able to find the part # from and old
invoice should you need.  They surprised be a little one price, I think
near $30 each if I remember correct.
5. Check for side of exchanger for impeller fins, other debris.
6. Like Joe mentioned, good time to check your exhaust manifold.

That's all I can think of.  I don't know anything about cleaning solutions
for exchangers, as mine was in good shape (and I'm in fresh water).

If you wanna see a pic of mine to know what you are getting into,
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWLhRntDWeh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Christian Caperton
1994 C320 #138 "Canuck"
Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL.