[C320-list] Heat Exchanger Removal - Perkins M30

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 14:10:39 PDT 2020

 Bob-
A couple comments about your post:
1. The small nipple on the rear rubber boot is the only direct input to the exhaust elbow from the heat exchanger tube itself. It is too small to be able to clean anything out without removing the elbow.
2. I doubt you could just unbolt the elbow and slide it sideways to clean out the elbow.  You would put far too much tension on the short section of wet exhaust hose and likely break off the fiberglass inlet nipple on thee muffler.
3. There is very little free exhaust hose between the exhaust elbow nipple and the inlet nipple on the muffler.....maybe only about 4 inches of "free hose". It is not a situation where you can bend the hose in the middle and pull off one or both ends easily.  It was so stiff on mine, I wound up cutting it off to prevent from breaking the muffler inlet nipple.
Thanks,Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32) "Mayan Sun"