[C320-list] Carbon buildup in Heat Exchanger

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Sun Mar 15 08:59:11 PDT 2020

To all,

So I removed the heat exchanger (thanks to all who told me to buy new caps). I also was able to remove the elbow (note to others - the nuts were rusted to the studs, so I am ordering new studs, nuts, and washers. I would suggest ordering those ahead of time if you plan to remove the elbow). Here is my question: my heat exchanger has a thick carbon build-up where the elbow bolts to the exchanger. Many of you suggested pulling the elbow to look for issues; it is fine. The problem for me seems to be on the tank-side of the connection. Any ideas how I might get the carbon out without removing the tank? Could I get it out if I removed the tank? I tried carb/throttle bottle cleaner with a hammer and a wood chisel (and screwdriver), with little luck.

As always, thanks in advance (and for the help starting the endeavor).

Jeff Smith
S/V Sailmates, #121, ‘94