[C320-list] Mast plug

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 17 18:12:42 PDT 2020

More poking around tomorrow! At least it will keep me away from the coronavirus.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Bob Borelli <cassattc22 at hotmail.com> Date: 3/17/20  8:46 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] Mast plug First 12V power to the circuit breaker which than branches off to 3 seperate switches:  Deck Light switch, Steaming light switch, Anchor light switch.The 3 switches and 3 lights share a common ground - black.So if Steaming light works, does not relate to no Anchor light.First check for and clean corrosion on Anchor light bulb contacts, screws & black & white wires.OK, I don't have a ladder to the top of my mast either.Sometimes lucky, look for a loose ground wire to a terminal block, or loose wire behind the circuit panel, honest it has happened to me.Next stick the sharp probe of your grounded test lamp into the wires on either side of the switch with power on.If bright lamp both times, ok the switch works.Next, got to trace that power wire.Could be another wire connection between switch and mast plug that is corroded?It could be corrosion in the mast plug but more likely in the inaccessible fixture at the top of the mast.To check the plug, remove the mast (OMG!) and do a continuity test of the 12V power wire from from the switch to the plug and than the plug to Anchor light fixture on the top of the mast.If I had a mast ladder, first I would check the Anchor light fixture wire connections, clean corrosion, test lamp, another bulb.I don't know that there is any advantage to opening the chart table, unlikely to be another terminal block or wire connection?Hopefully some one else will comment, please!Bob Borelli   C320 no. 209  'Elusive' at Sailing Associates, Sassafras River MD________________________________From: C320-list <c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com> on behalf of Graeme Clark <cg at skyflyer.co.uk>Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 6:25 PMTo: C320-List at catalina320.com <C320-List at catalina320.com>Subject: Re: [C320-list] Mast plugJackBad news!It’s at the foot of the mast. As the mast is lifted for removal you reach underneath and unplug itNot sure if this link will work to show you a photo of my boat, tied in with a bit of string to stop it slipping down compression tube. (Thick cable is radar)https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rd3ldxgTj0bNbW7m_xne0cnQGraeme#366Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!> On 17 Mar 2020, at 21:34, Jack Brennan <jackbrennan at bellsouth.net> wrote:>> So, as a spare-time hobby while I self-quarantine in place, I try to figure out why my anchor light doesn’t work.>> The bulb is new. Power is coming from the circuit breaker. The steaming light works fine. The problem seems to be in the wiring between the panel and the mast.>> The wiring diagram that came with my boat indicates there is a plug where the wires from the panel connect with two cables, one black and one white, that run up the mast. The big question is, where the heck is it?>> As best I can determine, it must be where the wires disappear under the panel, behind the chart desk. This looks to be a bear to disassemble, with hard-to-reach screws inside the desk.>> Am I missing something? Any tips before I start tearing apart the chart desk?>> Jack Brennan> Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528> Tierra Verde, Fl.> Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay>>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10>