[C320-list] Barber Hauler

Bev Wright bev.wright at verizon.net
Sat Mar 21 17:36:42 PDT 2020

Hi - does anyone use a barber hauler and, if so, where/how do you rig the
block, fairlead and snatch block and do you use the cabin top winch(es)?
I've checked the discussion list and it was only mentioned once in 2017 and
Chris Burti ( Fair Winds) said he didn't use one.  What I've heard from
Quantum Sails during a sail trim seminar is that a barber hauler is a useful
and versatile jib control adjustment (in lieu of a whisker pole) in reaching
(60-140 degrees) during sail racing when sail adjustments may be needed
rather than on longer passages going dead downwind and/or the wind is
steady, in which case a whisker pole is helpful, but the pole is not as
great if the wind is shifty or the race legs are fairly short and reaching.

Thanks!

Bev Wright

1993 C-320 "Whoosh" #15

Deale, MD (Chesapeake Bay, HHN)