[C320-list] Barber Hauler

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sun Mar 22 09:35:25 PDT 2020

When I used to race frostbite on a J105 (no spinnakers or whisker poles allowed, and must stay in the cockpit while racing) we routinely used barber haulers when off the wind. The idea is to move the lead angle further forward to control twist. If you can rig a barber hauler from the toe rail this also permits keeping the clew relatively outboard at the same time, which is good for reaching and running without a pole. The J105 has a much smaller jib and is fractionally rigged so take this feedback with a grain of salt. Btw it’s not uncommon on racing boats to use a barber hauler to pull the lead outboard when close reaching. Solves the problem of choking the slot that Chris mentions, while still giving control over twist. And a lot easier to deal with at mark roundings than a pole.