[C320-list] Edson steering chain/cable

Michael Ferguson coralman at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 25 10:41:16 PDT 2020

Thanks JackSounds like a doable job for me. Michael

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:29 PM, Jack Brennan<jackbrennan at bellsouth.net> wrote:   Hi Michael:

I replaced one on a previous sailboat, a Bristol 30. On the 320, it should be a much easier job. I had to crawl under the cockpit on the Bristol.

To check the condition of your current chain and cable, run a rag along the cable to see whether you have any broken strands. Also, check the Nicropress fittings or bulldog clips, which secure the ends of the cables to the steering quadrant, for tightness and cracks.

You can access the quadrant either through the stern locker or the housing in the aft cabin. I can’t remember at the moment.

If all is well, you can likely get away with lubing the chain and cable, then checking it periodically.

If you want to replace it to be safe, you can buy a replacement at Catalina Direct for $320. You can probably find one for less in an online chandlery, but measure yours first so you buy the correct size.

Your rudder shaft has a quadrant on it where the cables attach. Cut the cables or loosen the bulldog clips to remove the cables. Then you should be able to remove the compass at the pedestal and pull the chain and cable up from there.

Drop the new one down. Make sure the wheel and the cable/chain are centered so you steer properly. Then secure the cables to the quadrant with the bulldog clips. Make sure you use two or three for each cable and tighten the hell out of them with a ratchet.

You don’t want them coming loose.

Good luck. You need to stretch and bend some, but it’s not a difficult job.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Florida