[C320-list] Self-quarantining at anchor

Chris Nichols cinichols at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 25 10:44:11 PDT 2020

I’m in home lockdown here in the UK and the whole situation has become very real with exponentially rising deaths and infections. I too thought about sailing-away to isolate afloat however several factors made me aware this was not a great plan for me. Your mileage... etc...

1. Incubation period & Asymptomatic spreaders – there is the potential to catch this thing from those that appear well and you may be the one who gives it to others in your group. What happens if your friends on an adjacent boat come down with it and need you to sail them and their plague-boat to a harbour of refuge? At very least when they are carted to hospital you will be quarantined – possibly on their boat. Great!
2. Risk free boating – we all know the potential for injuries aboard – here in the UK ANY injury requiring a trip to the doctor is very likely to result in you contracting coronavirus...
3. Duration – google “The hammer and the dance” and get a feel for how long the hammer will last in the US. Can yo isolate that long afloat? Perhaps with discipline, a water maker and catching fish? I know I’d run short of rum which would not be a good plan!

Chris Nichols
Amanda Rose #476