[C320-list] Boom Repairs for C320

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sun May 10 11:42:54 PDT 2020

That does not sound like a reefing line problem. Rather it sounds like a
problem with your mast track setup. My mast does not have a "stop." The
slides can move down freely to the gooseneck. How high above the
gooseneck is your stop?

I'm wondering if someone added a removable stop to the mast groove above
the "gate" opening (where the slides are inserted) in order to keep the
slides from coming out. On my boat the gate opening is pretty high and
this approach would cause the problem you describe. The fix is to get
rid of that stop and get a proper mast gate cover so that the slides can
slide below the gate without coming out of the mast.

Here is another solution if that does not describe your case: I have
sailed on boats where the lower part of the mainsail luff does not
attach directly to the mast slides but rather is connected to them via a
line that zigzags between the slides and grommets in the luff. That line
goes taught when the main is full up so that you tension the luff, but
goes slack when you reef. When it goes slack the lower part of the luff
(below the reef grommet) becomes only loosely attached to the mast, so
you can pull the reef grommet all the way down to the gooseneck (i.e.
even lower than the slides).

Scott
(Surprise, #653)