[C320-list] Early model jib furler

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Tue May 19 13:12:11 PDT 2020

This post is intended for future reference. It documents a repair I made to my jib furler.

My C320 has a 1993 Hood SeaFurl 800 SL; it was original equipment on the boat. The furler has been difficult to work, and I was considering replacing it. My rigger took a look at the furler and thought the lower bearings were fine. He took a trip up the mast to look at the upper bearing unit and found that those bearings are okay, as well. However, he did discover that a piece was missing.

The Hood Seafurl 800 has a plastic insert that slides down inside the upper bearing unit, between the bearing unit and the extrusion. The insert is in two pieces, each of which is semi-circular. There is a metal retaining ring that goes in a slot that runs around the bottom of the insert. The insert is what was missing.

BTW, many thanks and a shout-out to Jeff Brown, owner of Out of the Blue, Hull #78. He had an extra insert and made it available. These parts can be hard to find.

If you have this problem, here’s how to do the repair: Drop the jib, which will bring the upper bearing unit down to the deck. Both halves of the insert have a knurled lip at the top, and a small slot at the bottom. The end with the slot of each half is inserted in the top of the upper bearing unit. The knurled lip will stop the insert at the point where the slot end just protrudes from the bottom of the bearing unit. The insert should include a flat retaining ring that resembles a rather large keyring. Open the retaining ring and work it onto the extrusion just below the bearing unit; then, work it into the slot on the two halves to hold them together. Then, raise the jib.

Hopefully, this procedure will help somebody with the same problem down the road.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA