[C320-list] Autohelm depth display flashing zero...sometimes

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Wed May 27 17:27:18 PDT 2020

I guess I’m in the 'not knowing true wind drives me nuts club'

I don't really have a rational reason for this.   We sail in apparent wind
and even the 'true wind' our wind instrument calculates is erroneous when
you factor current into the mix, but I think a lot of people would argue
that the error induced in calculating true wind from our apparent wind
using this method is no big deal.   I think that statement may be true for
casual cruisers but probably not for racers. I'm not a racer, nor do I
prefer to sail WoW DDW without a preventer, hence the no rational reason
comment.  But...I guess because it still annoys me...using SOG when your
paddle wheel is broken would be a nice feature to have on the MFD, I’m not
sure...maybe you can do this on some plotters?   I haven’t tried to figure
that out yet in lighthouse 3.0.  Now that the sailing dashboards are
finally back in this version I'll have to poke around.

If you want to dive deeper down the true wind rabbit hole...  here's a
great thread.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2624124#post2624124

Sorry to further sidetrack the OPs topic.

Regards

Troy Dunn
Hull#514