[C320-list] Fuel sender access

Dennis Cookson dennis at cooksons.net
Thu Nov 5 08:38:38 PST 2020

Today I made an attempt to change the fuel sender on my diesel tank, which has been over-reading on the gauge since purchase of the boat last year.   I say attempt because I was shocked at how awkward it is to access this instrument, and as I couldn’t get an eyeball anywhere near it, I had to content myself with an arm’s length snap with a smartphone, which I’ve uploaded here <https://c320.org/mediagallery/media.php?f=1&s=20201105160834374&i=0&p=0>.  As you can see, it’s in the dirtiest part of the boat.

I can just about make out the six bolts that attach this sender to the top of the tank, but it is so difficult to access that I would only be able to undo them by feel, again at arm’s length, with a suitable wrench, while contorting myself into various uncomfortable positions that I wasn’t designed for.  I tried from both stern lazarettes and also from the hatch in the aft cabin - all equally painful.

If anyone has managed to change this sender successfully with the fuel tank in place, can you kindly describe how you did it?  I’d like to know what size wrench/spanner is required, can you actually remove all six bolts, and particularly whether there is a loose retaining ring under the sender that will drop into the tank when the last bolt is undone.  I’m aware that this is often the case with holding tanks (ask me how I know). Oh, and where does that red wire go? Is there a terminal strip somewhere?

Until the latest lockdown I’ve been managing my fuel level by tracking engine hours, but I’d like that gauge to work properly. Am I wasting my time? Maybe I should just wait until the fuel tank corrodes and has to come out anyway - it’s 21 years old after all. But there is no smell of diesel at the moment.

Dennis Cookson
Catalina #577