[C320-list] Cutless Bearing Project

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 05:59:03 PST 2020

 I ordered the Morse Blackfish bearing from Defender for $32 in January (now $42 https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3032966

The job really was relatively easy and only took about an hour.  The more difficult job on my boat wound up being the removal of my propeller in advance. I bought  a puller from Harbor Freight for about $15 to get that done.  The threads on the puller shaft started to strip as I used the tool, but it worked and I should be able to use it again. A loaner prop puller is available from the association.

A local friend who owns a newer 320 was replacing his shaft and also wanted to do his cutless bearing.  So, we did both boats as a team (which really helps with wrench work) and split the cost of tool shipment which was not cheap (about $120 total round trip including insurance) due to the weight/size of the tools.  We received the tools, did my boat that afternoon, then did his boat and also had the tools shipped back the next day.
This video is really good about using the tool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwr3l6bkGA   The manual and several tips from other owners was shipped along with the tools.  The manual is available on the C320 owners site, but not the tips. Make sure to look over the tips carefully.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32) "Mayan Sun"
Holland, MI