[C320-list] Follow-up on Eta

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 17 19:02:14 PST 2020

So I have to remark on how odd it was to call Catalina and have Gerry Douglas, the boat designer, answer the phone directly.

He had a simple opinion: If there is cracked fiberglass, you have problems. If you don’t, go sailing. I wasn’t able to find any cracks. Neither did the marine surveyor Geico sent out to look at the boat.

The surveyor did say it was the correct strategy to call the insurance company if you have any doubts. That way, there is a record if something goes wrong later and it can be traced back to the incident you reported.

I am impressed at how strongly the 320 is built. Often, deck cleats give way even before lines snap. These held firmly through 12-14 hours of winds tropical storm to hurricane strength, with waves bashing the boat and putting great strain on them.

Then there’s the fact the my 320 knocked over a piling with no apparent damage to the rub rail. Pretty impressive. Another piling spent some time bumping against the starboard stern with no discernable damage. No cracks. No oil canning. Didn’t even lose gelcoat.

Now, if I could only get it to go to windward in a steep chop …

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10