[C320-list] Chesapeake Bay Cruising/sailing

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Wed Nov 18 18:08:43 PST 2020

Scott,

There is a good anchorage right in front of Tidewater marina in Norfolk. You can dinghy to Tidewater and explore the town of Chesapeake or take the ferry over to Norfolk (5 minute ride) or of course you could dinghy over. The town of Chesapeake has a few free overnight slips in downtown, as well. Mill Creek is right outside of Old Point Comfort marina on Fort Monroe (no longer an Army post). Fort Monroe has great history, to include a museum in the Casemate. There are also public access beaches, a coffee bar and an Ice cream shop, as well as Oozlefinch’s (craft brewery). You are not far from Phoebus (15 minute walk), which has dining, drinking, and a Food Lion for provisions. Old Point Comfort marina is where we keep Sailmates. Do not buy fuel there if you are in need. Go to Hampton river and go to Bluewater marina. Mill Creek is where most boats stop as they make their way either to the Bahamas in the winter or back up north before hurricane season starts. Mill Creek is protected from all directions except the south west. Both of these have great views of Norfolk Naval Base. Speaking of Hampton River, you can anchor up right outside of Hampton downtown. There is a great doughnut shop (you are probably sensing a theme here) and good dining downtown.

Kiptopeke is on the eastern shore of Virginia. It is not too far from Cape Charles. There are good anchorages there near the concrete ships, and the area is a state park. I am not sure there are many places to anchor at Cape Charles, but I do recommend a visit there. Brown Dog ice cream is highly recommended. If you go to Cape Charles, stay at the city marina not Oyster Point, as it can be tricky (shallow) trying to get back to Oyster Point.

This is the southern end of the Bay. There are not many places to anchor in Little Creek, which is close to Virginia Beach but still in the Bay.

Mobjack bay has many areas where you can anchor up and enjoy the wildlife.

I also recommend Solomon’s Island.

If you go to Deltaville, we prefer Fishing Bay marina, though we have not anchored out there. Fishing Bay has a pool, plus they will loan you a car to go to Deltaville and get provisions.

I understand Tangier’s Island is a good stop once but no need to go back (I have not been there personally).

I would be interested to hear what people say about waters North of Annapolis. I recently did the C&D canal coming back from Newport, RI. It looked like there were great places to anchor on the Virginia side and the canal itself is pretty cool (I recommend traversing at night to see the bridges).

Just be wary of the biting flies during this time. They magically appear out of nowhere.

Good luck,

Jeff
’94, #121