[C320-list] Hatches and Portlights and Deadlights...oh my...

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 16:49:19 PST 2020

 Troy - with the experience I had when I replaced my 1994 boat's "deadlights" (the 4 fixed, non-opening 'windows' in the galley, head, salon, etc.) in 2017, I do not recommend planning on relying on the VHB tape.  It sounds like a good idea, but the new cast acrylic lenses I bought directly from Catalina Yachts did not fit the cavities uniformly (even though I provided exact tracings for each window). You need a good seal all around the new acrylic. Some of the new lenses were very tight in the mount cavities.  Therefore, the seal was mostly between the hull cavity and under the beveled inside edge of the lens, rather than around the lens perimeter,  Then, I had some lenses that were loose/smaller than I would have desired.  In this case, there wound up being a very good/wide seal around the lens perimeter as well as under the lens.
If you relied on UHB tape and the lens was tight in the opening, you might end up with inadequate sealant.
As I mentioned in my answer to the other recent post inquiring about " replacing portlights", I had an article published in the Spring 2018 Mainsheet (page 28) with a procedure and photos for when I replaced my deadlights (this is what Jeff Brown was asking about when he listed "portlights" as the prior topic ...... I agree the terminology can get confusing). I will be happy to email my original draft procedure with many more photos than were allowed for the magazine if anyone is interested.  Just email me directly at hoopdtwo at yahoo.com.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)
Holland, MI