[C320-list] EV-100 install on early 320

nibj nibj at mac.com
Mon Nov 23 08:42:16 PST 2020

Pardon me for rehashing an old subject.  We have an early (1995 I think) C320 with Perkins engine and associated instrument panel on the old style Edson pedestal/steering guard setup. Our boat has next to no electronics (just VHF and FloatHub, no chart plotter, just an ancient Garmin GPS).

We want to install an autopilot (likely an EV-100 wheel pilot) for use in the Chesapeake Bay and maybe ICW (nothing too strenuous, maybe round Delmarva but that is only one day at sea).

I have looked at the posts on this subject and may have missed the information:

1) Will it fit or will we have to modify the instrument cluster?
2) Reading posts, it seems that a good place for the controller and compass etc is in the small hanging locker in the aft “stateroom”. Is that the consensus?
3) Where do you put the control panel?  I seem to recall a fancy Scanstrut install that looked good but can’t find it now.
4) I guess I should install an NMEA-2000 network.  I am thinking of wind and AIS later.

Does anyone have a copy of the Mainsheet article mentioned in some of the posts?  I tried to find it but it seems that Catalina’s mainsheet page is under construction?

Best
Peter
Tangled #226